Yesterday, Nokia announced the hot new N9 smartphone, built on a stunning blend of design and the latest smartphone technology. The Nokia N9 introduces an innovative new design where the home key is replaced by a simple swipe. Whenever you’re in an application, swiping from the edge of the display takes you home. The three home views of the user interface are designed to give fast access to the most important things people do with a phone – using apps, staying up to date with notifications and social networks and switching between activities.
Here is the complete review of this latest smartphone.
Screen Display, Camera and Design
Without a physical home key, the all-screen Nokia N9 makes more room for apps to shine. You can unlock the phone by just double tapping the screen and just swipe from the edge of the screen to go to home screen. The 3.9-inch AMOLED screen display with 480 x 854 pixels. The protective glass is made from Corning’s Gorilla Glass. It came with an 8 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, auto-focus and an LED flash and records videos in 720p at 30fps with stereo sound.
Nokia N9 will be the first smartphone to run on the MeeGo platform. It contains MeeGo OS, v1.2 Harmattan.
Hardware and CPU
The polycarbonate body enables superior antenna performance. This means better reception, better voice quality and fewer dropped calls. It’s CPU boasts on a 1GHz TI OMAP3630 SoC with 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU and PowerVR SGX530 GPU along with 1GB of RAM. It will be available in three colors, black, pink and blue and in two versions, 16GB and 64GB. Unfortunately, there’s no microSD card slot to expand that.
Connectivity and other Features
It’s Bluetooth is of v2.1 with A2DP, EDR and WLAN of Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n. Also, it contains a microUSB v2.0 in it. The N9 comes with a new web browser that is based on the Webkit 2 technology and has full support for HTML5. However, it seems there is no Adobe Flash support for now.
In addition, there is also a new version of Ovi Maps on offer, with free turn-by-turn voice navigation. The N9 also have support for Dolby Headphone and Dolby Digital Plus built-in, a first for a phone. The phone is pre-loaded with Angry Birds Magic (with NFC support), Galaxy on Fire 2 and Real Golf 2011.
The N9 also comes with an NFC chip built-in. Nokia demonstrated it by pairing the N9 with an NFC-compatible Bluetooth headset simply by touching it to the phone. Touching it again unpaired the headset.
Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Joikuspot Wi-Fi tethering, Accuweather, AP News, Swype, Track and Protect, Galaxy on Fire 2, Real Golf, Angry Birds Magic, Mail, video player, Drive, Feeds, search, calculator, Calendar, Contacts, music player, web browser, messaging, photos, photo editor, Ovi Store, Maps.
- GENERAL 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
- SIZE 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm, 76 cc
- Weight 135 g
- DISPLAY AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 480 x 854 pixels, 3.9 inches
- – Gorilla glass display
- – Anti-glare polariser
- – Multi-touch input method
- – Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
- – Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
- Internal Memory 16/64 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
- Card slot No
- GPRS Class 33
- EDGE Class 33
- 3G HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.7 Mbps
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
- Infrared port No
- USB microUSB v2.0, USB On-the-go support
- CAMERA 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, dual LED flash
- Geo-tagging, face detection, touch-focus
- Video 720p@30fps
- Secondary Yes
- OS MeeGo OS, v1.2 Harmattan
- CPU 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset
- Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds
- Radio No
- Games Angry Birds Magic (NFC), Galaxy on Fire 2, Real Golf 2011; downloadable
- Colors Black, Cian, Magenta
- GPS Yes, with A-GPS support; Ovi Maps
- Java MIDP 2.1
- Other Features
- – Digital compass
- – TV-out (720p video) via HDMI and composite
- – NFC support
- – Dolby Digital Plus via HDMI
- – MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA/FLAC player
- – MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
- – Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PDF viewer
- – Video/photo editor
- – Voice memo/command/dial
- – Predictive text input (Swype)
- BATTERY Standard battery, Li-Ion 1450 mAh (BV-5JW)
- Stand-by Up to 380 h (2G), Up to 450 h (3G)
- Talk time Up to 11 h (2G), Up to 7 h (3G)
- Music play Up to 50 h